Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Reflections on why

Shew, finished a big test today. Got another in a few days...

Now I could just think of all this as a drag and whine about not having enough free time (although i've found time for blogging! [ Who'd of thought this would be so intersting. { it's kind of like a community conversation/diary/email kinda thing. No existing names fit, so let's come up with a new, original, quirky name. How about "Blogging"? I think it could catch on. } ] )

Back to reality.

It's nice to feel enabled at work. Every page turned and problem solved is a skill that allows me to create nifty stuff at work. Not to mention increased job mobility and security. Better future for the family as long as I can keep my priorities straight and not neglect them in the mad flurry of activity.

It's kind of like the moments after you've just done something you've always dreaded a little and didn't know you'd be able to do. Relief. Elation. (a bit of pride?...) Even transformation.

I say all this because I grew up with the local, subtle, mindset that goes something like: "You can do anything you want to when you grow up." But the eyes of the speaker are somehow averted.

The subject gets changed quickly.

"College, well, if you get good grades."

It sounds rediculous now, but let me tell you, it kind of sticks somehow.
I just feel lucky to have gotten un-stuck somehow.
I only hope this region would stop with the under-achiever attitude, somehow.


Yadda yadda. enough about me.

But wait this is my blog!

4 Comments:

At April 2, 2008 at 10:50 AM , Blogger paul said...

My wife would be giving you a standing ovation right now. (You can ask me about that sometime)

 
At April 4, 2008 at 6:01 AM , Blogger thea said...

I am proud of you baby. You are doing great in school and figuering out your schedual so that no one thing is ignored is impressive. Love ya!

 
At April 4, 2008 at 11:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

argh - behind on the commenting am i!

this area can be difficult to grow up in for so many reasons. (okay, so i know you didn't spend all of your formative years here, but..you're a local). you are a super-intelligent guy and i'm glad you're doing what you love. :D and you'll never advert your eyes when you look at the next generation.

i would join laura in applauding you for this post.

 
At April 14, 2008 at 7:32 PM , Blogger fuzzy_j said...

SJW, for some reason it took me like 11 days or something to see your response. (what the?!)

Anyhow, nice things you have to say. thanks.

And Paul,
Yeah I had something of a conversation with Laura (right? sorry...) about her job, helping local folks get to, and do better in college. I think that's what she said she does.
As a matter of fact that may have set me to thinking about it in the first place.

Until next time

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home